Saturday, May 14, 2011

A tooth, a farm, and baby deer.


So on Thursday night after Pacen's baseball game (where he had an awesome hit over the shortstop's head that went all the way to the grass--woohoo!), Than didn't feel like having to do dinner at the house and deal with waiting and cleaning so we went out to a little mexican place. While we were sitting there chatting about this and that, Than was commenting on how it seeemed like forever since we had had dinner as a family. And so we were counting back through the days and it had seriously been over a week and a half...not counting mother's day, since we had had normal dinner together. What the heck is up with that?!?!!?!? Now we had been doing family together things. You could count hot dogs at the A's game a family meal since we were all together. You could count carne asada taco's that Than had brought home from work that we ate at the park together while we hit softballs, a family meal together. And they are, but just not normal normal. I had a Relief Society meeting a couple Tuesday's ago and we went straight from baseball to the meeting (Than had to be at the church too for scouts) so I stopped by Jack in the Box to grab dinner for my kids and one of the girls was telling me how great it was that I "had it all together" enough to take my kids to the meeting and feed them and what not, so I made the joke that if I really had had it all together, I would have had a prepared a warm meal using all items from my food storage and garden and brought the recipe to share. Oh sometimes I think I'm so funny. Anyway, not the point I was going to make. I don't know the point now. It's gone. My new point is that we have had a great little weekend so far. I used my mother's day gift today....my cooking class with Carrie. I'll blog about that later. We drove to Napa Valley and it was beautiful. Emily and Marc are in town and so we had dinner with them last night and we got to hang with baby Roman. I like to say baby Roman, but he is much larger than Gentry. LIke his head is two of Genchy's head. He is so dang cute I can't stand it. And he really likes me. I sat in the back seat with him and he smiled at me the whole time.
But we have BIG NEWS is the Hancock household. BIG NEWS. We are entering a new phase in our child rearing....the tooth losing stage. Pacen FINALLY lost his first tooth!!!!
It's been lose for like a month and the kid wouldn't touch it for fear of blood, but we've been threatening him with a trip to the dentist for him to pull it out. We pretty much had to teach him how to wiggle it but we couldn't put our hands near it. But today, while I was in my class, he tried the apple trick and it worked! Out it came with hardly any blood!!!! He was so proud and he told me, "Now I don't have to worry about going to the dentist anymore!" He's so cute.
And now here is the start of many, many years of a funky looking mouth.

And other big news in the Hancock house are the baby deer!!!! I had somewhat of a traumatic experience earlier this month when we found a baby deer just a few hours old dead in the yard. I really couldn't stop thinking about it and I told the guy that whacked all of our weeds about it and he said, "Well they really are just rodents with hooves, so it's not that big of a deal." Well when you put it that way! A few baby deer have been in our yard the past couple of days and I have loved it! They have spots and little skinny legs and they're just so cute, even if they are a nuisance.
This mama says, "Back off my babies you lady with a camera!" That's a direct quote.

And just to catch up on my life, here are pictures of the trip I planned to the Little Farm at Tilden Park for our preschool class. It was cute because I got clipboards from Peggy (she saves EVERYTHING but it comes in so handy!) and I had a little checklist for them and words to write about the farm and they really liked it! There is something about a clipboard that kids just love. I should make some homework clipboards and maybe Pacen would like to do his homework more. You can feed the animals lettuce and celery and the whole point was to see some baby animals since that is our unit's theme this month and there were a few even though it is a little late in the spring for babies.
See....clipboard magic!
Carrie and Rachel. Two of the mom's of the group. I am going to miss our little group! Rachel is the super planner and Carrie was the link to bring us all together. It's been a good year and Camry has loved every minute of it.
That is Anthony, Camry's little boyfriend. They play superhero's all the time. Camry gets to be Poison Ivy. What a lucky girl! I really love Claira throwing a fit in the background.
I'm glad I have good friends to carry my baby around for me even when they have a baby of their own to carry!
The highlight of the day was when we watched a dude catch a snake while we were eating lunch. That thing was HUGE!!!! I'm a fan of the outdoors, just not the creep crawlies that live in the outdoors!

2 comments:

shauna said...

Dude Pacen that is AWESOME!!! Losing a tooth is the coolest thing!! Was it scary? Were you nervous? Was it crazy the way it just pops out in the end? Are there any more wiggly teeth? What did the tooth fairy bring you? I can't wait to see your teeth when we see you this month! Maybe you will have lost another tooth by then. Maybe you and Heidi can both pull out another tooth because she has a loose one too. Good job Pacen!

Carrie said...

Thank you Erica for showing me that I really need to stand with better posture, smile more, and cut all the dry ends off of my hair. At least I could say if people wanted to see a picture of me they could go to your blog. :)