Monday, August 09, 2010

Portola Redwoods

Friday I picked Than up from his office downtown and headed off to our first little camping trip as Californians. It was pretty awesome. You only have to drive about 45 minutes out of the city and you are in a place that is absolutely gorgeous and you would never ever guess that you were in the bay area. We had campsite 22!! I was all excited and Than said, "What...are you still in high school?" Yep, I still love that number, plus it was a great campsite. We got there by 6 and had everything set up, went for a little walk around the campgrounds, roasted hot dogs and smores and just had fun.


We decided that Pacen was the Dave Stutz of camping. EVERYTHING was awesome, cool, delicious and he was just super pumped for everything about camping. I love his enthusiasm. He was so happy to be there and that makes all the work of it all worth it.

This is what happens when your kids take over your camera. Every detail of camp caught on film.


Than is just such a good camper dad. He did everything so I didn't have to. I will do a lot on my own, but I don't think camping would ever be one of them. All of his scouting days have paid off in super efficient camping!


The next morning we cleaned everything up, ate scones for breakfast, and took a hike to a little waterfall. The kids were amazing. Claira was not a fan of the backpack but got used to it just about the time we were finished.

The best part.....BANANA SLUGS!!! The kids got pretty good at spotting them. And, of course, we headed home with a banana slug magnet. Claira saying 'nana sloook' was the cutest thing ever.

You forget how big the redwoods really are. Camry, in her ever dramatic way, said, "This is the tallest tree I have ever seen in my whole life." Yes, that is true.

And not crossing of a bridge would be complete without Pooh Sticks!

We camped for less than 24 hours, got so dirty you would have thought we were there for a week, and had a fabulous time. We drove along the coast on the way home. There are so many places to explore down there. It was so pretty and we plan to be back many, many times. Anyone wanna come?!?!?

7 comments:

jana said...

Looks beautiful. I want to come... next summer though, I'm to pregnant and that is to far to drive. I'll wait for you guys to come out here :)

PS - just saw a super cute Benji and Camry Close up on my screen saver and wanted to cry :( boo for moving

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful. What was the temp??

shauna said...

That looks like so much fun! We haven't been camping in YEARS like since that trip with my family when we were first married. I miss camping.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. Invite us again and maybe we will be able to go next time. Those banana slugs are disgusting.

Dava_Hudson said...

I was actually just thinking about camping and how we havint gone in SOO long. We may have to come down and camp with you guys. : )

Parley and Katie Call said...

I want to come, I love camping but my body doesn't...i'll show up with my u-haul of mattress pads, cot, chair cushion, portable electrodes and massager...hee hee :) now you know why I stick with a cabin.

But it looks like it was beautiful!

Lenore said...

Ha hA!!!! That's awesome! As Dave would and always does say! :) My Dad always makes fun of dave and says things like "is that really "awesome" or... maybe just pretty neat? Pretty ok?" Are you guys doing Ft. Bragg Labor Day weekend?! We are! Last year was a blast!