Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day was really great. I was actually anticipating it to be sad and horrible and that is totally not my style. It was just that every time I heard a mother's day commercial or heard people talk about what they were getting their mom for mother's day I just felt a little prick of pain in my heart just thinking about how this is my first mother's day without my mom. But what...is life supposed to just not go on? No. Is everyone just not supposed to have a mom and not celebrate her anymore? No. I know that. I was just more sad this week than I thought I would be. But when the day came, it was so great. Than always takes care of me much better than I take care of him. And many many people came up to me in church and called and asked how I was doing and told me how much they love me and that always makes somebody feel good. And plus, how can you feel bad when you have three kids as cute and sweet as mine???

I'll tell you when they were not sweet yesterday...sacrament meeting. With three kids, we have really good sacrament meetings. Not a whole lot of crying and fussing. I still feel like I can get lots out of the talks and listen most of the time, but not yesterday. It all started when I told Pacen and Camry that they were going to go up and sing in church for mother's day. The primary kids usually sing a song or two during sacrament meeting on mother's day and father's day. It's easy. When it is their turn to go, they invite the primary kids up, they walk up, find a place to stand, sing a song, and go sit down. Let's be honest, it's not like all the kids even sing. To my kids' credit, we have been gone for many weeks with all our travels, so they didn't really have the prep time practicing the songs. But still, the moment I tell them, which was right at the beginning of the meeting, both Pacen and Camry are in tears, camry has been rubbing her head against my legs messing her hair all up, Pacen is in a ball crying on the pew. It's a mess. I tell them that Than will walk with them up and they need to just relax, but they couldn't relax the whole time. At one point we thought that they were fine, but when it was their time to go, they freaked out again. We were mad and Than told Pacen that he couldn't play the wii until he went up and spoke in front of a group in the microphone. I told Camry she couldn't watch TV for a week. We were ticked. I can understand Pacen not going, but Camry is perfectly able (as well as Pacen but we know his history) but it's like Camry has learned this from Pacen, or is a good faker and just didn't want to to up by herself. I would think Camry's attitude would have been more like, Let me show you what I can do that Pacen can't. Oh well. Pacen has the 6th article of Faith to say during Sharing Time next week, so let's hope he does it so he can play the Wii. Argh. And then Than put water in Claira's sippy cup instead of milk and she wasn't happy about that. And he brought fruit snacks to church which we don't do very often and she was ticked that they were gone. So, she was not a happy camper in church either. Thank goodness for Primary and Nursery!

Than worked super hard making sure I had a good mother's day. He made a fabulously sweet breakfast called Creme Brulee French toast. Serious calorie overload. He got me some great presents even though he's been traveling all week he still found time to make me feel special. After church, he and Ben made dinner and we played some games over at Jana's and it was just fun. I ate my guts out and now need to go on super diet!

Me and my boy. He's just realized how fun it is to make funny faces in the camera.

My girls. Pacen took this picture. He's a natural. Anyone who reads this blog knows that I love my job of being a mom. But I really do love it. I love the snuggling, the hugs and kisses, the playing, the learning, the cooking (its' true...it's just not as easy when Claira pushes herself in between my legs and the cupboard I'm standing against. I get it...pick you up. But sometimes you just can't.), not the cleaning but that is all part of the mothering gig.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What adorable pictures. And Claira must get that from her dad. I NEVER cooked a dinner without him hanging on my legs and crying and most of the time his head was shoved between my legs. It got so that I just walked around the kitchen with him hanging onto me like that....fun times.

Sam Hancock said...

Mom be honest. You never cooked dinner.

LaNell Brown said...

Erica I thought about you multiple times yesterday but I was lame and didn't call. You are a great example to me as a mother raising children in the gospel. I am glad you had a good day. You deserve it.

Parley and Katie Call said...

I was thinking of you all day and was hoping you had a good Mother's Day. I am sure it wasn't as easy as past years, but I can see you are good at focusing on the happy things in your life! :)