Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fire!

You know what is great? Taking time to come down and visit your family in San Diego during the time of 8 separate wildfires that have over 250,000 people evactuated and most major Highways closed! We came down Saturday night after spending two days with some friends in Disneyland. Sunday, my mom had a Dressage Horse Competition. We watched that and then headed up to her house. My sister, Erin, told us the smoke we were seeing was coming from the "Harris Fire" but the wind was bringing it toward us. So, we're driving up to my mom's house. The drive up there is through the town of Ramona, and up a hilly/mountainy drive--about 20 miles. We're heading up and the smoke was just thick and black and scary. We finally pull over and were thinking that it didn't seem safe for us to keep driving with our kids. My sister kept driving and around two or three more curves there were flames everywhere! A bunch of fire trucks and police had blocked the road and were turning people around. But that was the Witch Creek fire that is now over 22,000 acres! All the roads up to my mom's house are closed, so I haven't been able to see her except for at her horse show. Pacen keeps begging me to take him to Grandma's house--he really wants to feed the horses with the red bucket. :( Erin & Chris, Emily & Marc and their dogs, and Pacen, Camry & Me are all hanging out at Erin's house. Than had to catch a flight to North Carolina for work so he gets to visit Dave and Lenore--Fun! The one bonus is that all of their work and school is canceled so I get to spend a lot of time with them. I'm hoping that roads will be open tomorrow and I can visit with mom and Loren sometime soon. It's so depressing looking at all of these home being burned and all of these people having nowhere to go. There was a reporter that was watching his own home burn to the ground. Very emotional. The winds are shifting today, so today will be another interesting day. But my family is all safe and so I feel blessed.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

You can come stay a little further north with us if you need to. You've got to let me know next time you go to Disneyland - we are only 30 minutes south and go there ALL THE TIME! Hope you guys are keeping safe down there - we're hoping not to get evacuated today because of the Santiago Canyon Fire. Eesh. Is your Mom ok?

Cameron and Katie said...

this is so crazy. I bet the smoke is driving you nuts!

Parley and Katie Call said...

I can't believe it, I mean, I can because there are always fires there! But you never expect them to get close to people you KNOW. Like your mom and Jen! I really hope the fires calm down soon. I hope the rest of your trip is fun and safe!!! I feel so bad for all of those people who are losing homes...we are all so blessed!

Than and Erica said...

My mom is currently evacuated. There is fire heading towards her town but the news isn't saying anything about it so we're assuming that it isn't that serious. Time will tell. Sunny--we're totally getting together the next time we're at disneyland--I haven't seen you in FOREVER!

Real Life Roberts said...

Your blog is out-of-control RAD! You have totally kept it up-to-date! I think I looked on it just a couple weeks ago and then today and I see 3 pages of info...did I miss something over night or what! It's great that you are so good at blogging. Bum deal to hear the fires are so close to your family... it brings it to reality when it is personal. good luck. Miss you tons!