Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tough Mudder.

Last year Than did the Tough Mudder with my two friends, Kristin and Megan.  It was supposed to be a big group thing but people couldn't make it.  Since then, he's been saying that we need to do one together and that it'd be super fun and I could totally do it.  A couple of friends of ours have lost a bunch of weight this past year and really wanted to do and so we all signed up but I didn't really think about it.  I've just been doing my crosscut twice a week with Kristin and I am in good shape right now but not in like…Good shape.  I can't go on long runs because of the RA and this is 10 miles so I was nervous about that.  I'm stronger now than I ever have been but at the same time, it's not that strong.  I have an arthritic body for crying out loud.  So needless to say, I was very nervous.  To the point where I was being grouch and nervous.  Than kept saying that I had nothing to be nervous about and he was right, as usual.  My biggest fear was that I'd be the only one that wouldn't be able to do it and I'd make everyone have to wait and be embarrassed but that didn't happen so all was well.  

In the starting gate.  Little do they tell you that you have to get over a 7 foot wall to even get to the starting line.  What?!?!  I have to get over that?!?!  And then they do a big pump up song and stuff with this motivational speaker guy which is totally cheesy but fun.   
 Can you tell I was nervous??!!?  Yeah…really nervous!  Than was….shoot…I can't remember the name….A LEGIONNAIRE!  It was his second race so he got some special treatment because he's  real man and did this race again. A real man or crazy!  Some people do like bunches of these like its's their "thing".  I would totally do it again if a big group wanted to do it.  Anyone can do it and make it through and it's just a fun event.  
 There was lots of hiking.  LIke STEEP hiking.  But it was so beautiful you didn't even mind you walking straight up a mountain.  I mean seriously California!  Can you get any prettier!?!?! 
 It was fun to do a race with Than.  I would do it again also just to be able to do something like this with him.  It's nice not being a spectator for a change.  
 The crew.  Alph & Amy.  Than & Me.  Kristin & Brigham.  And Lino.  Corri didn't do the race but totally should have.  I guess someone has to be the responsible adult.  
 This isn't me but I will have it noted that I carried Than on my back the whole distance for the challenge!  And it was uphill!  And hard!  But i did it!  
 Again…this is not me.   This is Amy.  But again, I want it noted that I DID that and it scared the crap out of me.  I'm terrified of drowning and it was so scary but also exciting once you are finished.  But seriously….it was so scary! 
 Here I am looking like a pansy.  I really didn't want to fall in a big mud hole.  
 Yep…I jumped off of that!
 And I went over that!  That is me thinking….crap!  How am I supposed to get over that?!?!
 This is on the backside of that first hill we had to hike.  You can see it in the back.  
 That is me, second from the left.  Going super slow!  I followed Than who was almost finished by the time I got my sorry butt in the mud.  But the point is….I did it!  I kept thinking…I wish the kids could see me do this!  
 The aftermath. 
 Another challenge was the wood carry.  Than and I did one together.  Lino posted this picture and brigham commented #ineversaiditwouldbeeasyionlysaiditwouldbeworthit  So funny and wrong.  Alph said…I've found my new Easter card.  Again…shouldn't be funny but it was. 

Finished!  There were a bunch of other obstacles not shown and I was able to do most of them.  NOt the monkey bars.  Boo.  And I just didn't do the shocking one at the end.  I really had no desire to even try that one.  But i felt accomplished and strong when it was over.  I totally faced a couple of fears and had a great time with friends.  

No comments: