Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Camry is loving kindergarten. She is becoming just the little social butterfly I always thought she would be. She's funny because she'll come home and I'll ask her about her day and she'll say a thing or two about what they did in school but no details really. But then, throughout the day she'll just randomly bring up something that they did in class. Or start singing some song that she learned. Or tell me that she went across the monkey bars all by herself! She is dying to have her lunch with Mrs. Cerutti. They each get to have lunch with her this month....little does Camry know that is when she's going to assess Camry to see when her stay day will be, but that doesn't matter to Cam. She just keeps saying, "I can't wait until it's my turn to have lunch with Mrs. Cerutti." Or, "Do you think that my lunch with Mrs. Cerutti is tomorrow?" Or, "What do you think will be in my lunch when I have lunch with Mrs. Cerutti?" She's so cute. And today, she got to take the role (which she called 'The Rule' and I had to figure out what she was saying...so cute) down to the office. She had already told me about it twice today when she put her head on my lap after her bath and looked up at me with a big smile and said, "Mom, it was so fun to take the role to the office today." Don't grow up, Camry! Stay this sweet forever!

**Update (for those non-californians!:)): Stay day is actually a pretty cool concept I think. They assess the kids and then group them into similar reading groups of like 5-7 kids and then one day a week they have a "stay day" where each small group gets to stay a full day and that is when they do a lot of their reading and small group work. Then in January they merge two of the groups together and have two stay days a week. I've never heard of any other school doing this, not even in our district. Everyone seems to like it so we'll see.

2 comments:

K and M said...

Forgive my ignorance, but "stay day"? Please explain to those non-Californians among us. :)

Cameron and Katie said...

I Love the stay day concept, it sounds like a great way to teach. I miss good schools. I feel like our kids are getting dumber every day we live in vegas!