Sunday, April 08, 2012

Happy Easter!


We had the best Easter today! Than and I were actually talking about how we haven't really made Easter a big deal in our house and we came up with a few reasons why. #1--BYU doesn't have Spring Break so we never went home to celebrate the Easter holiday with family. We would always spend our Easters with Kathy which was totally awesome, but we would never drive home to our parents house because we never had the time off. So our Easter tradition was dinner with Kathy and now we don't live next to her. :( But she did send the kids an easter package and they were super pumped about it. #2--Last year we spent Easter in Alabama for Loren's wedding so there were no Easter traditions done then. #3--The Easter before that was right around my mom's birthday and since it was the first one we had to celebrate without her so we were in Julian at my mom's house and that was just us surviving through another 'first' holiday without my mom so that was that. #4--I don't know...it just kind of sneaks up on us.
This year we didn't do anything monumental. I guess it's good that we don't go crazy over the easter bunny and we do try to teach the kids the reason why we have Easter in the first place. I did a little FHE on Monday about the resurrection and taught the kids the song "Did Jesus Really Live Again?" from the Primary songbook. We are definitely not the Von Trapp family singers but I kind of like it when we are all singing in our out of tune ways. And I love it when Claira tries to say big words like resurrected that sound like "wesuwected". And I really love it when they remember throughout the week what we did at FHE and talk about it. It makes me feel like my work is paying off! I often use www.ayearoffhe.blogspot.com because it is so fast and easy and we did their little activity and Claira was sooooo proud of it.
Today we just got ready for church in our super cute new Easter outfits that Emily helped me find while in SD. Aren't we cute?!?!?! This is the "hurry and get in a picture quick and then run in the car so we aren't late for church" picture. Not perfect, but we were on time for church! And that is impressive for us looking so cute and doing easter baskets before 9 o'clock church.
The only photographic evidence of easter baskets....or bowls in this case. The easter bunny was out of easter baskets at Target the night before Easter. That's how we roll. We are so prepared all the time. :)

Church was awesome. Camry had a matching dress with her friend in her class. Claira just thought she was a princess in her beautiful white dress and kept it so clean all day. She was so careful about everything in it. My sunbeam lesson went really well. It was probably because it was basically the FHE I did with my fam and so it was like I was doing it a second time. And my little three year old sunbeams are getting to be older and in the swing of primary and they just did awesome today. I love that.

After church, our neighbors invited us over for a little easter egg hunt.

It was Gentry's first Easter Egg hunt and she did a fabulous job. And the funny thing was that she would dump out her eggs and pick them up again....and then dump them out and put them back again. It never got old!

All the kiddos. You can tell I was into holding the camera crooked today. Seriously my kids are so cute! Pacen was actually being a punk about taking his picture in front of his friends so I kindly whispered into his ear that if he didn't take a good picture for me I would take away all of his candy. That's a good way to parent, right??? But hey! Look at that picture. He's a stud.
More searching....
She was so cute.
The little girls....

The two lone boys. Good thing they have each other.

After that, we had some friends of ours over that we know through Than's work. They just moved here and don't really have family in the area so we had dinner with them and their two kids and it was just fun and relaxing. Dinner was yummy....veggie tray, deviled eggs, cheese and crackers, ham, potatoes, asparagus, salad, rolls and Shellie Shultz's strawberry pie. I really need a double oven on days like today because everything took way too long to cook and my pie didn't set very well but it was still super yummy.
We have always been lucky that even though we don't live right next to family, we have good friends and neighbors that can fill that void for us. Our church grammy gave the kids all sorts of treats. The kids basically got Halloween 2.o and have enough candy to get them through until october. We got to enjoy our house and yard and the wonderful weather with friends and eat yummy food. We got to teach and learn and listen about Jesus Christ and the Resurrection that gives us hope and strengthens our faith. I think that is what Easter is supposed to be about and we loved every minute of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Late Easter!!!!! I am so glad that you guys were able to enjoy Easter in your wonderful new home and start traditions of your own (although I did miss you guys, can you believe I didn't color eggs or have an easter egg hunt?). The kids all look so dang cute. I did buy myself a new easter dress this year and it is so funny because it is similar in color and style to Cam and Claira's! Also, I love the "crooked" pictures.

Anonymous said...

the kids look adorable and it looks like you guys are starting some new great traditions. great pictures erica. thanks for posting them.

The Robins Nest said...

I love that you had to do some "encouraging" with Pacen for a picture. That sounds exactly like our house.

Emily said...

I was waiting for the pictures, and the kids look fabulous! Hooray!

Emily said...

Also, Genchie's lip looks so much better. I hope that the new pacifiers do the trick.

Unknown said...

I am very impressed you got your family looking like that (and got photo proof) by 9am... the fact that was easter morning aside. Good work.